Become a REALTOR®
Consider Real Estate If You're Looking for an Exciting, Fulfilling Career
Are you interested in an exciting career, where you can meet lots of people, have the potential for high earnings and determine your own career path? Then consider becoming a real estate agent. Helping people find their dream home or sell their home for top dollar is exciting! But it also takes hard work, discipline and an investment in terms of time and money up front.
Ready to go? Here are some guidelines to get you started:
- Decide what type of career to pursue in real estate. Residential sales is the most common specialty and involves working one-on-one with people to help them buy and sell homes. Other areas include:
- Residential leasing - helping the owners of apartments, condominiums and houses find tenants
- Commercial sales - helping individuals and companies buy and sell office buildings, industrial facilities, warehouses, store space, apartment complexes, nursing homes and other non-residential buildings
- Commercial leasing - finding tenants for various types of non-residential properties
- Research your state’s minimum age and education requirement. For Ohio, this can be found on the Ohio Division of Real Estate .
- All real estate salespeople must work under the supervision of a sponsoring broker. Visit several real estate offices and arrange interviews with the brokers. Questions to ask a broker include:
- What do they offer you in the way of tools, training, resources and support
- What do they expect of you as an agent
- What would your typical day look like
- Understand the fee and commission structure
- Do they offer opportunities to specialize in areas such as corporate relocations, high-end markets, etc.
Evaluate all brokers that have offered to sponsor you and choose the one that fits you best.
- Research and sign up for real estate classes to fulfill the education requirement. This may be in person or online classes, or a combination. Contact your local board for information. Check the Ohio REALTORS® site for a directory .
- Study and prepare for the real estate license examination. Submit your application and fee to the state as required. For Ohio, check the ODRE website or call 614/466-4100 to find out about test times, locations and application.
- Pass your examination, receive your license and notify your broker.
- Join the highly regarded local, state and national associations. National Association of REALTORS® members are the only real estate licensees authorized to call themselves REALTORS® and use the widely recognized REALTOR® "R" logo on their business cards and other materials. REALTORS® agree to abide by a strict Code of Ethics and receive many benefits.
- Enjoy your achievement and start your career!